Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body. The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Senior Major Gift Officer position. The Senior Major Gift Officer is a full-time, year-round position, starting at $108,000 - commensurate with experience. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ways in which they bring value to and will work towards supporting a broadly diverse community.
The Senior Gift Officer is an integral member of the College's Major & Planned Gifts and Advancement staff. This fundraising professional will manage a portfolio of 125-175 Amherst alumni donors and prospective donors and be responsible for the design and implementation of their cultivation and solicitation strategies. The Senior Gift Officer may travel frequently to engage these key members of the Amherst community in conversations leading to six and seven figure gifts. Reporting to Senior Director of Major and Planned Gifts, the Senior Gift Officer will work as a member of the College's Major & Planned Gifts team, which is comprised of fellow Senior Gift Officers, Gift Officers, Development Assistants, and Gift Planning.
This individual will play a vital role in the raising of major gifts in support of Amherst's funding priorities and as part of the Promise campaign.
The person in this role is expected to work as part of a collaborative and inclusive team including taking appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participating in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment. In addition, all advancement staff members are required to support and staff key events such as Reunion, Homecoming, and Family Weekend. These events may require occasional evening and weekend hours.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Manage a portfolio of 125-175 diverse Amherst alumni donors and prospective donors
- Responsibility for the design and implementation of prospect cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies
- Frequent travel along with virtual (Zoom) visits to engage these key members of the Amherst community
- Closing six- and seven-figure gifts in support of Amherst's established priorities
- Serves as a point of contact for targeted fundraising initiatives, events, and efforts across college divisions, departments and/or affinity/interest groups
- Bachelor's Degree
- Proven success closing six figure and above gifts or applicable and relevant experience in a related field
- Minimum of five years' experience in the development field including substantial work and success in soliciting major gifts and marketing planned gifts
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and advance relationships strategically and proactively
- An unassailable sense of judgment and integrity
- Personal capacity to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Able to travel 35-50% of the time to different areas of the country
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and written and verbal communication skills
- Commitment to working with diverse communities
Amherst College offers many opportunities for professional growth and development, continued learning, and career advancement.
Amherst College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (medical and religious exemptions may apply).
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements. Click here for Benefits Information.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs . Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted. (Current employees and students should apply by clicking on the Career icon from their Workday home screen) Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this link.
Preferred Years Of Experience:5 Year(s)
Education Required:4 Year Degree - BA
Employment/Position Type:Full Time
Share On :